Please call or email us anytime, we love to talk about fishing!

Kurt Whitehead USCG Captain
Master Alaskan Fishing Guide & Outfitter Phone 907.738.5000
Email Kurt! Trina Nation USCG Captain & Fishing Guide
Licensed Assistant Guide
Beachcombing specialist
Phone 907.738.5000
Mailing address:
PO Box 388 Klawock, AK 99925
Treasure Hunter Lodge

Book a Trip

Bookmark and Share
Follow Us:

Klawock, Alaska

Klawock is located on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island about 50 miles due west of Ketchikan in Southeast Alaska.

Klawock (pronounced Kluh-walk) is named for Kloo-Wah, a Tlingit (English pronunciation, Clink-it) Indian from Moira Sound on the East side of Prince of Wales Island. (We've also been told 'Kla-wock" is one of the many sounds a Raven makes, which is true; we often hear the birds "say" it!)

The town site was a summer fishing camp until Kloo-Wah permanently moved his clan in 1868. A trading post and salmon saltery were also established and the town site was called by several names:

  • - Klawerak
  • - Tlevak
  • - Clevak
  • - Klawak.

Not only are the people friendly, but the area's currents and ocean floor structure create a convergence of nutrient-rich water and impressive habitat for all species of fish and wildlife. It is a world renowned area for Humpback Whales, Sea Otters and Sea Bird research. Locals like to say the fishing is at their front door while the hiking and hunting is out the back door.

The first cannery in Alaska was built here by a San Francisco firm in 1878. Subsequent canneries in the area were operated under contract using Chinese laborers. A hatchery for red (sockeye) salmon opened at Klawock Lake in 1897. The town was incorporated and a school was constructed in 1929. In 1934, The Town of Klawock received federal funds for a cannery; the buildings still stand but the cannery is no longer in operation.

In 1971 Alaska Timber Corp. built a sawmill. Soon after, Klawock-Heenya Corp., Shaan-Seet Corp. of Craig, and Sealaska Timber Corp. built a log-sort yard outside of Klawock and a deep-water dock on Klawock Island. Klawock is a significant center of Tlingit culture, with an annual celebration of Elizabeth Peratrovich's pioneering Native-rights work on behalf of Alaska Natives. Klawock Totem Park has 21 totem poles that are replicas of the original totem poles that stood in Tuxekan (the winter village of the Heinyaa Kwaan people). A Heritage Center including a longhouse (Gaan' Ax Adi) and carving shed are located near the edge of town.

The only airstrip on Prince of Wales Island is near the town and serves two scheduled carriers using wheeled aircraft; visiting planes also use the runway. Floatplanes land near Klawock's harbor (or directly in front of Treasure Hunter Lodge in Big Salt Lake!). Klawock has a small boat harbor (this is where we keep "Glacier", "Treasure Hunter" and "Trinity"). A boat launch ramp is North of the harbor. A deep-draft dock on Klawock Island is primarily used for loading timber. With a current population estimate of 850, Klawock is the 2nd largest community on the island. Craig, just 7 miles South of Klawock, is home to approximately 1,100 people. Each town has a grocery store, liquor store, gas station, ATM machine and clinic.

View Larger Map
National Weather Service: Current Observations